Sunday, February 17, 2008

Valentine's Day







I forgot to take any pictures of the appetizers and main course of the meal.
My husband brought me a beautiful boquet of flowers. This was the best lasagna I have ever had. It has a mixture of sausage and beef that I think made it work.


Menu
Roasted red pepper and tomato bruschetta
Romaine salad
Garlic mozzarella cheese bread
Lasagna
2003 Lemelson Vineyard Thea's Selection Pinot Noir
Red Velvet Cake
Korbel Rouge Champagne

The bruschetta was sliced and toasted Itailan bread. Out of the oven I rubbed it with a garlic clove. It was topped with diced tomato and roasted red pepper and mozzarella cheese and placed back in the oven to melt the cheese.


The salad was nothing special just bagged salad and bottled dressing.
The rest of the Italian bread was toasted and rubbed with a garlic clove, then topped with mozzarella chesse. It was placed back in the oven to melt the cheese.

Lasagna
1 box lasagna noodles
1 lb spicy Italian turkey sausage
1 lb lean ground beef
30 oz ricotta cheese
16 oz mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs
2 jars pasta sauce
olive oil


Preaheat oven to 350. Cook pasta according to package directions. Remove sausage from casing and brown with ground beef until cooked. Drain any excess grease from meat. Drain noodles and sprinkle with olive oil to prevent them from sticking together. Mix eggs, ricotta cheese, and parmesan cheese together. Add pasta sauce to meat mixture. Into a 9 x 13 dish begin the layering process starting with a layer of sauce. Next layer noodles, then ricotta cheese mixture, then meat mixture, then mozzarella cheese. Repeat until only noodles remain on top, then cover with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake covered in aluminum foil for 35 minutes, then remove foil and cook another 30 minutes.

The red velvet cake was going to be made from scratch, but I didn't realize it called for cake flour. I made it from a box (sorry WC girls), and I used store bought cream cheese frosting.

The champagne came from a vacation we took to the Napa Valley. We did a champagne tasting at Korbel. We brought back this wonderful Rouge Champagne. It had a great deep red color, and was the best tasting champagne I have ever had. It was full bodied like a wine, but still crisp and bubbly like a champagne.

1 comment:

Mrs. Mandy said...

Hi Court! Good to know you. That red velvet cake looks AMAZING! I see that you're a Midwest gal. I was born in Cincinnati and raised in Ann Arbor Michigan, so I'm all about Ohio and Michigan. Look forward to reading your posts!